Who We Are
The Michigan Democratic Party Rural Caucus was chartered in July 2017 to ensure a voice for rural communities and work toward addressing the needs of rural Michigan. Rural Michigan represents 25% of the state’s population. The foundation of American democracy was built on the ideal of the self-sufficient rural citizen. While much has changed in the make up of the United States since then, today rural voters have concerns and issues that are vital to rural communities, like reliable broadband service, education, conservation, and access to healthcare. As the elections in 2016 so powerfully demonstrated, the democratic party cannot cede a single county or vote in its fight to ensure a free and fair society. In order to accomplish this goal, the Michigan Democratic Party must have a strong party structure in every region statewide. The Rural Caucus serves to ensure a voice for rural communities to communicate concerns and needs to the MDP.
Since its inception, the Rural Caucus been focusing on the following goals:
• Providing a mechanism for rural residents to become members engaged with the ongoing work of the MDP.
• Generating support for and understanding of rural issues for Caucus members, the MDP, and with key stakeholder organizations working on behalf of rural residents and communities.
• Recruiting MDP members and providing support to county parties where rebuilding is needed.
• Supporting Democratic candidates.
• Recruiting high quality candidates to ensure that no race goes uncontested.
Add your voice
By joining now you can add your voice and help advocate for rural Michigan.